BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, June 26, 2010

My husband- the teacher

What a great day it has been. Mike's parents are putting in wood flooring in their house this weekend. Mike's Uncle John from Phoenix does flooring for a living, so he and his wife Jennifer and their three boys came up to help out and visit. We've had the boys for a few hours, and have had a blast. Mike wanted to take them shooting, and I thought what a better time to practice his skills as a teacher, and as a family member. We took them to the gun shop to buy ear plugs, and then out to the outdoor range. Mike was wonderful. He is so patient, and goes over the safety of handling firearms so well. He had the boys repeat after him the safety rules; and the oldest being 13, the more repetition the better. He had them shoot their grandfather's .38 special. Grandpa Richard died in February, and the family is still intensely feeling the loss. Shooting his pistol was an honor I think each of them felt. They did him proud, and each shot exceptionally. They listened, followed instructions, and asked questions. Mike paid them each special attention, praised highly, explained things fully, and genuinely was proud of them. I did my womanly duty and cleaned up shells after them. ;) I made sure each one felt that they had done very well, because they had. We had a quick lunch at Ta*o B*ll, and then went to the indoor range to shoot the .22 Long Rifle. Again, they each did well. They are currently glowing. The conversation from the other room is still revolving around, well, revolvers.

Can I just say, I cannot wait until we have kids? I mean, I don't think we'll be intentionally trying anytime soon, but it is going to be fun. Mike is going to make a great dad. He keeps teasing me about us having all boys. Oh Lord, please don't be that cruel to me! :) I would really like to have boys, but I want a few girls too. Girls are just way too fun. But the patience and teaching that Mike displays is so wonderful. I pray for a brood with different likes and interests, giftings and abilities. Concert pianist, ballerinas, football players, black belts, soccer players, artists, singers, potters, motorcyclists, teachers- it doesn't matter to us. We will encourage each one of them separately, equally, and individually. But Lord, please give us boys who will share their dad's enjoyment of the outdoors and things that go boom. That's all I'm asking. And for girls. PLEASE.

Talk to you soon!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

You crack me up lady! I could totally see you with a herd of boys. I wish I would have known you were shooting today. Dad loaned me his Judge to keep at the house for a while. I would have come shot off a few rounds with you! Oh well, glad you had a wonderful day with the boys.

Labels