BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, June 13, 2010

A dirty little word- and a great encouragement.

I got called a "housewife" today. It was interesting. The girls were all going out to lunch, and I really didn't have the motivation or means to go, so I told them I needed to do some things around the house, which was true. "She's going to be a housewife" was the response. And while I don't think it was said derogatorily, it stung a bit none the less. The first thing that came to mind? One of my biblical heroes.

"Who can find a virtuous and capable wife? She is worth more than precious rubies", Proverbs tells us, but is that the way women in the home are really looked at today? The media shows these women as tired, broken down, less than feminine women, who have to deal with selfish, childish husbands, and rebellious, mouthy children. Most of these women look like whiny, needy, emotional messes, who, when asking for some consideration, or, God forbid, romance from their husbands, get treated with contempt, making the husband into a martyr for caring for his wife! The stable wife is never portrayed as the attractive woman of the show; that is always the single girl, who is on a different guys arm every week, having the so-called time of her life. Let me tell you, that is not the position to be envied. Is this the thanks we give to the women who nurture our young? The ones who make a house into a home?

"Her husband can trust her, and she will greatly enrich his life. She will not hinder him but help him all of her life", Proverbs goes on. Isn't that what a wife should be viewed as? His helpmate, his partner, his friend? That's what I want said of me. I have always wanted to be a wife. When you asked me as a child what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would say, "A mommy." Wife and mother go hand in hand. I have waited for years for God to mold me into the woman I am today, so that I may be a great asset to my husband. Am I a housewife? Darn right, and proud of it!

Proverbs goes on to describe a woman of many talents, calling her energetic, strong, thrifty, merciful, compassionate, and competent in business. An early riser and a night owl. Some people see this as Solomon's sexism coming out, describing a woman that doesn't exist. Some think this is an amalgamation of traits that he thinks women should posses. At any rate, she would be a fearsome thing to behold, and one to whom we should never compare ourselves. But I think the Proverbs 31 woman is a person I would like to strive to be. And you know what? I won't get it all down all the time. It doesn't say anywhere in the chapter that she must be all of these things at once, so I will content myself with using her as a guide. Do I know squat about business? Nope, but we may one day own our own, and then I'm going to have to learn. Am I thrifty? My mom always said I had a champagne taste on a water fountain budget. I like those Coach purses! Am I always "extend[ing] a helping hand to the poor and open arms to the needy"? I do what I can, when I can. Mike and I tend to give until we bleed. No, I will not always get it all right, but I can look up to this woman, whom the wisest man who ever lived, praised above all other women.

"Her husband is well known, for he sits in the council meeting with the other civic leaders." (A position of great respect.) I heard a broadcast recently of a sermon done on this chapter. My favorite part was this part. His opinion was that he was well known at the city gate, because of how his wife was capable and respected. He (in a "Jewish" voice, which was hilarious) had a conversation with himself between the woman's husband and another leader of the city. "What do you have in your lunch today?" "Gufilte fish! Always gufilte fish! I'm sick of gufilte fish! What do you have?" "Roast lamb sandwich on homemade bread, wine- my wife makes her own wine, you know- (he listed several things here), baklava- oh! And a pudding cup!" "Baklava AND a pudding cup?! I wish my wife took care of me like that! Do you think your wife could come over to my house and talk to my wife?" At this point, they see a beautiful woman on a chariot approaching. "Who is that?" "That's my wife!" His wife comes up and says "I just made a pan of brownies, and thought you guys might want some!" And the second man is blown away. It was a funny way to look at this verse, but that is how I want to be seen. I want to be known as Mike's right hand, his greatest encouragement and asset. I want to take care of him in a way that shows other married couples what it really means to love your neighbor as yourself, because what neighbor is closer to you than your spouse? Again, will I always get it right? No, but I sure am going to try!

"She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs with no fear of the future. When she speaks, her words are wise, and kindness is the rule when she gives instructions. She carefully watches all that goes on in her household and does not have to bear the consequences of laziness. Her children stand and bless her. Her husband praises her: "There are many virtuous and capable women in the world, but you surpass them all!" What a testimony! What a life! There are no mouthy and disrespectful children in this scene, no incompetant and lazy husband. They recognize the blessing from God that she is, and publicly acknowledge that. Why shouldn't I add this woman to my heroes list? She fears the Lord, and is greatly praised. She is a housewife, and I am proud to join her ranks!

Naysayers and critics- if you don't like what I'm saying, get out of my way! I don't have time for your insults and discouragement- I'm a housewife, and I have a lot to do!

0 comments:

Labels