BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Elizabethtown


Ok, yes, I did go through my Hollywood crush phase a little later than most girls, and yes, Orlando Bloom was my main heartthrob. Those days are behind now. (He hasn't done anything in a while.:)

The movie Elizabethtown is one of my favorites. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it, although, I highly recommend it only if you see it with me. Karin hated it the first time, but then she watched it with me and liked it. The movie just speaks to me about how life can get away from you if you let it, and how we shouldn't let what is really important get lost in the midst of life. I love Kirstin Dundst in the film. She is quirky, bubbly, funny, fun, sweet, honest, and giving. The things she says and thinks reminds me of me. "I'm a student of names." she tells Drew Baylor (Orlando Bloom). She seems obnoxious at first, but she grows on him. (As I hope some of you are able to say of me!)

One of my favorite movies scenes of all time is at the very beginning of their relationship. She is a stewardess on his flight to pick up his dad's body for burial. He carries with him the "lucky blue suit" that was his father's favorite. She has just talked his ear off for quite a while in the middle of the night, and stands up to leave. "I'll take this." She says, picking up the blue suit. He lunges forward to take it back from her. She doesn't relinquish it, however, and tells him: "I can handle this." He hesitates. "Let GO." He does so, and leans back in his chair, exhausted.

Orlando spends the rest of the movie experiencing the life he has missed out on for the last eight years of his father's life, because he was too busy. He let life control him, and he had lost himself in it. It is a wonderful road back to where he needs to be, and wonderful to see him get there.

The journey, however, would not have begun without that first scene. When faced with separation from what we cling to, don't we hold on for dear life? Aren't we so afraid to relinquish that which holds us back? Why? What is it really we are giving up? Control. I love her line, and I hear that one echo in my head on more than one occasion. "I'll take this. I can handle it. Let GO." How many times does our Heavenly Father say those exact words to us?

When faced with that choice, our humanity scrambles to hold onto all that we hold dear, even when it really means nothing. Without that transfer of control, our Father is not able to begin his work within us. And we may not even see the work going on! Her presence is healing to him, but he misses it completely. Half way through the movie, he confesses to her that he is a big fat failure (the opening scene is him being fired for loosing a major company close to one billion dollars). There have been all of these things going on, but he doesn't even see them. Claire (Dundst) replies: "So, you failed." He makes it clear that she doesn't get it. "Ok, you REALLY failed. You failed, you failed, you failed. You failed. You failed, you failed, you failed, you failed. You FAILED, you failed-". He cuts her off with a look. "You think I care about that?" Isn't that what Jesus tells us when we are broken? He looks at us, at the mess we've made, at the destruction we have caused in our own lives, and all of the shattered pieces of our broken hearts. And asks us one question: "You think I care about that?"

What freedom and redemption there is in that one sentence! Thank you so much, dear Lord, that when we are at our worst, your work has already begun. You never leave us, nor forsake us in the mess we make of things. You pick us up, clean us off, wipe away our tears, and begin HEALING and RESTORING us. Your mercy and grace are too wonderful for words, and I praise Your Holy and Awesome Name.

The next time you find yourself in the belly of a whale, in captivity in Egypt, in hiding on Mount Carmel, or in Elizabethtown, listen intently. I promise you will hear these words. "I'll take this. I can handle it. Let GO." And when you try to tell God He can't make use of any of your life because you have screwed it up so badly, I guarantee His words will be, "You think I care about that?"

If you needed to hear that today, I'm glad I was here to say it. As Claire would say, "We may never see each other again, but I just want to say: We are intrepid. We carry on." Love you!

0 comments:

Labels