BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, June 20, 2010

It's Father's Day!

Want to meet my biggest fan? (Other than Mike?)


Yep, that's my dad! My dad is AWESOME. He adopts any kid that may come into his house- they are all his girls! I'm daughter #1, Rachel is #2, Danielle is #3, and after that, he assigns numbers as they come. We're probably up to about 63. Anyone and everyone are welcome in our house, and every one is loved the same. He never complained about the enormous grocery bill that accompanied feeding this mass horde of teenagers, and merely tiptoed around the thirty sleeping bags that occasionally populated our family or living room- or both.
There are many great fathers in the world, but it takes a special man to have all daughters. He was preconditioned for it, though, with two sisters growing up. I don't know many understanding men who would allow twenty years of dinner table discussions revolving around Barbies, ponies, purses, shoes, bras, and periods. Not occasionally. Litterally twenty years of it. He takes it all in stride; just finishes his dinner, pushes back from the table, and vacates the room. He is a master of listening, having a wife and three VERY feeling daughters (especially this one!). His patience is legendary. By myself, I could have given him grey hair. And he had two more!
Not that we were very trying children. I've told them how lucky they were. They laughed outright at me, but really, we could have given them a lot harder time than we did. No sneaking out, drinking, partying, or trying drugs. We had no reason to go do that stuff- all our friends wanted to hang out at OUR house!
Among his other winning characteristics as a dad, he was Mr. Fix-it. And I mean everything. The sink, the car, the Barbie's head, a tea set, jewlery, the fence, the window, and various broken hearts. He could fix it all. That was one of my favorite things about him. He has these two great big tool cabinets, and as a child, it seemed that the supply of magical fix-it (duct tape and super glue) was unending.
He poured into us in other ways as well. Some of our favorite times were our yearly science projects. Countless (last minute) hours were spent in the garage, side by side, using up all of his stock of supplies, creating an A+ project. Levers, pullies, race tracks- nothing was too complex, and he really seemed to own everything and anything that could be used for such projects. He would help with homework, Scripture memory verses, and was always, always encouraging.
Our personalities are similar, as I have hinted to before. Mike reads the manual, and my dad and I just want to do it. Damn the consequences! :) We lean towards being people pleasers, and can get along with just about any one. We are hard workers, and love music and worship. Both of my parents encouraged me to dance, but my dad really understood the application of it within worship. I love hearing his opinion on the latest worship song craze- whether it is good or bad, it is always entertaining. He's goofy and funny, and loves to laugh. He describes himself as "Tigger", just bouncing along, not a care in the world. He's quick and witty, and it's been fun growing up and being able to leave this rapier wit speachless. :)
My dad was also not afraid to be the discaplinarian. I love him even more for that now. Had he been bent on being my "buddy", I would not have an example to judge Godly men by. I'm so glad he didn't shirk that responsiblity.
When it became apparent to me that Mike and I were on the road to marriage, I began to appreciate my dad more, as I watched the natural progression of him relinqueshing the role of the man in my life. He did it with grace and ease- or at least it seemed that way to me. He loves Mike, and Mike loves him. They are becoming better friends all the time, and I am so glad. He was more than generous with our wedding, and lavished his love on us. What was even more amazing than that, and I mentioned this before, was his blessing over us during the ceremony. I need to get a copy of that. It was AMAZING. Heartfelt, passionate, loving, encouraging, and accepting, he welcomed Mike into our family with flourish. Nothing could have been more wonderful.
Anyway, that's my dad. We love him so much, and just wanted to let you know why! Happy Father's Day, Dad!

0 comments:

Labels