BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, July 2, 2010

Forgiveness

"A happy marriage is the union of two good forgivers." -Robert Quillen

"In humility consider others better than yourselves." Philippians 2:3

This has been a hard week. After two+ months of going, going, going, we are TIRED. Mike is on his last week of class, finally got his certificate from the NRA so he can begin training classes, work has been CRAZY, life has been CRAZY. We haven't even gotten to go camping yet this year, something Mike fervently enjoys and something that rejuvenates him. Physically, mental, emotionally EXHAUSTED. And then we had Wednesday. We had an hour carved out of our week to learn something new, together. Something that was enjoyable, fun, and just the two of us. And it didn't work out that way. Instead of being relaxing and fun, it was aggravating, frustrating, and definitely NOT fun. NOT what I wanted. NOT what Mike wanted.

We're still learning how to handle the bad stuff together. Mike likes to withdraw, mull over, think about things, and then talk. I want to process. Now. I don't let 18 minutes go by, let alone 18 years before I say something. That's why I don't understand these long time marriages that go down the tubes- how can you just not talk about something that bothers you? But that's beside the point. I wanted to talk, and Mike didn't.

I appreciate that he doesn't want to have an emotional outburst. I appreciate that he doesn't want to direct an outburst at me. I appreciate that he wants to get things straight in his head before saying anything. I appreciate that he WILL NOT yell. I do not appreciate being left out of the loop.

"A good marriage is not one in which perfection reigns; it is a relationship in which a healthy perspective overlooks a multitude of unresolvables." -Dr. James Dobson

And so, we press on, dear friends. We talk, discuss, resolve, relate, laugh, cry, explain, understand, clarify- and then press on. I love this man, my partner, my friend, more with each passing day. I am so glad I didn't marry myself- I would drive me crazy. And so I thank God for bringing me someone who is patient and kind, and listens to MY emotional outbursts. I thank God for a man who values what I have to say, even if he doesn't agree. I thank God that this same man wants to work things out, wants to talk, wants to understand, and wants to do better. I want those things too. More than anything else, I want to honor, respect, and love my husband in a way that is clear and apparent to him. And that's what he wants as well. We're still learning, my friends, and will continue to. But I can't think of anyone I would rather be learning with.

In Him,

Sarah

0 comments:

Labels