BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Forest for the trees.

I am a big picture person. In a major way. I love talking to someone about something, and then getting to point out to them what they may have been missing from focusing in too closely on a subject. We are all products of our environment. And that goes for situations too. I recently was speaking to a dear friend who is caught in a awkward and very painful divorce. She is really not sure how she should relate to her former in-laws, or even if she should. After describing a specific event to me, I pointed out to her some aspects of the bigger picture. That's what drew me to anthropology; there is no ONE answer, it's a little bit of everything. (Are we a product of nurture or nature? Yes. Was the color of your eyes part of your self esteem as an adolescent? Yes and no. Does socioeconomic background enable you or imprison you? Sort of. I love anthropology. :) Anyway, I actually really like that about me. It enables me to search for answers that wouldn't be readily apparent, or think of things from a different angle. It also helps me appreciate things that I don't appreciate.

Which brings me to why I'm writing this. Mike is a single tree kinda guy. That's it, one tree, one. No, there is no forest, there is just single tree after single tree. I love being the forest girl, but I do tend to miss out on the trees. Details are important. They are usually what give a tree its uniqueness, as well as its beauty. I miss out on that sometimes. I appreciate this viewpoint because it is the perfect compliment to mine. We balance each other out. Mike is able to focus in, really look at an issue. He is able to analyze it, evaluate it, study it, and then pronounce a judgment. He is wise that way, because it is a more informed way to make decisions, and a clearer vision of the situation. Mike has the patience, dilegence, thoughtfulness, thoroughness, and clarity that I sadly lack. He is able to guide our family in a more informed way. Which I abundantly and vocally am thankful for. I am not afraid to ever be adrift in uncertainty. Not with the focus God has given him, or the vision He has given me.

Then again. Maybe the tree is just a tree. :)

0 comments:

Labels